Sunday, January 27, 2008

induction introduction [try me (trial)]

Name: Well, my family name is Rose. My christian name is William Jr. My second given name is Joseph. At a formal call I would be referred to as William Joseph Rose Jr. Any other time I would hope to be called Billy.

Favorite Artist: It always surprises me when people find favorites a normal and easy topic to tackle. I have no favorite artist (or food, or musician, or color for that matter.) I do like many, more than others, though. My favorite contemporary artists are Anthony Lister and Francis Vallejo (francisvallejo.blogspot.com.) My favorite "modern" artists are Robert Rauschenberg and Duchamp (though his readymades were awful.) My favorite turn-of-the-century artists are Klimt and Schiele. My favorite painter, who paved the way for such artists, is Van Gogh. My favorite reformation painter is Rembrandt. Lastly, my favorite mustache on an artist was Dali's.

Why this Class?: I must admit the more embarassing first. I have to take biology. I say the second, hoping I overstep no bounds; I love the wonder of God's highest creation. It's systems can be easily compared with that of other organisms to varying degrees, depending on the context. Yet we study it with special emphasis at times. More often than not it is for medicinal and other scientific benefits. However, I want to look at these systems, remembering that humans are truly unique as animals, socially, mentally and spiritually.

Goals: I can't say they are all clear now. The most certain is that I pass this class with a decent grade. Secondly, I would love to be slightly more in step with a teacher friend of mine when he rattles off the wonders of the human body. From there, I don't know, but I love to learn.

Three interesting things: I'm young and I have a had a fairly uneventful life. I'm reaching for interesting here, so be kind. I spent the past six months living in a tent on the island of Kauai. There I was building, and later attending, a bible college campus on the east side. I have a once-famous second cousin. His name is Tom Selleck. My great uncle, Frank Condon, was the first person to ride a buffalo [bison] in the rodeo.

Oh, yes. I am the poor fellow on your right in the above photo.

No comments: